Home Contact Sitemap 中文 CAS
Home About Us Academicians WHB News Research Major Achievements Cooperation Education & Training
About us
Education & Training
Major Achievements
WHB News
Location: Home > Education & Training
Frequently Asked Questions for Admission Application 2021
Update time: 2021-07-08
Text Size: A A A


Ⅰ Brief Introduction

Ⅱ Eligibility for Admission

Ⅲ Major and Language Requirements

Ⅳ Application Process and Required Documents

Ⅴ Fees and Scholarships

Ⅵ Admission and Registration

Ⅶ Visa and Residence Permit

Ⅷ Accommodation and Campus Life

Ⅸ Others


 Brief Introduction

  1. Q: What is the rank of UCAS in the world? Why does it not show up on the ranking list of worldwide universities such as QS?

A: This is because UCAS does not participate in rankings such as the QS yet. As a research-oriented university, UCAS is included by ESI (Essential Science Indicators). In the latest ESI data released recently, UCAS ranked 66th globally and the first among universities in the Chinese mainland.

  1. Q: What disciplines do UCAS provide, and which subjects are more competitive?

A: UCAS enjoys a complete discipline system covering 10 disciplines, including philosophy, economics, law, education, literature, science, engineering, agriculture, medicine, and management. We have over 160 doctoral programs and over 200 master programs. According to the results of the fourth round of discipline evaluation by the Ministry of Education of China, 30 subjects of UCAS are rated as Class A, of which 18 were A+ subjects including mathematics, physics, chemistry, astronomy, geography, atmospheric sciences, marine sciences, geophysics, geology, biology, systems science, ecology, electronic science and technology, computer science and technology, environmental science and engineering, agricultural resources and environment, fisheries, pharmacy. According to the latest ESI data (Essential Science Indicators), in all the 22 subject rankings, materials science and chemistry at UCAS rank among the top 10,000 in ESI. Seven disciplines, including materials science, chemistry, environmental science and ecology, engineering, plant and animal science, agriculture, and earth science, are ranking among the top 1000 in ESI, and 18 disciplines are ranking in the top 1% of ESI. While maintaining its discipline advantages in the field of natural science, UCAS has been putting efforts on applied disciplines, emerging interdisciplinary disciplines, humanities, and social sciences in recent years, and gradually showing its strength in management, philosophy, medicine, psychology, economics, law, and other disciplines.

  1. Q: What is the relationship between UCAS and the Institutes of Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS)?

A: CAS institutes are the training units of the graduate students of UCAS, functioning similarly to that of the colleges. Under the CAS leadership, UCAS is highly integrated with research institutes regarding the management system, faculty, training system, and research.

  1. Q: How about the faculty of UCAS?

A: UCAS enjoys a strong faculty, including more than 11,000 graduate supervisors and 6,700 doctoral supervisors (including 230 academicians of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and 40 academicians of the Chinese Academy of Engineering).

  1. Q: What scientific research and practice platforms are available to graduate students at UCAS?

A: UCAS provides a world-class scientific research innovation practice platform including 23 major national science and technology infrastructures, 1 national laboratory, 2 national research centers, 73 national key laboratories, 189 key laboratories of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, 8 national engineering research centers, 17 national engineering technology research centers and 12 national engineering laboratories, all of which are distributed in various graduate training units.

  1. Q: Which overseas institutions or organizations does UCAS work with?

A: UCAS has established close cooperation with many world-renowned universities, research institutes, and international organizations. UCAS enjoys close contact and cooperation with world-class universities such as Harvard University, MIT, Stanford University, Columbia University, University of Cambridge, University of Bristol, the Technical University of Munich in Germany, the Australian National University, University of Science and Arts and Humanities of France, Paris Sorbonne University, the University of Toronto, Canada, the National University of Singapore, as well as well-known international research institutions such as the Royal Academy of Sciences, the Max Planck Institute in Germany, France's National Scientific Research Center, American Academy of Sciences. With the support of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology, and Education, UCAS and eight Danish universities have jointly established the "Sino-Danish Center" for education, research, and innovation, and the "Sino-Danish Institute," a Chinese-foreign cooperative school. The "International Center for Theoretical Physics (Asia-Pacific)" under UNESCO will be established under the cooperation of the National Natural Science Foundation of China and the International Center for Theoretical Physics (ICTP). The Kavli Institute at UCAS was founded with the support of the Kavli Foundation in the United States and is now one of the 20 Kavli Institute members in the world. UCAS is a member of the Pacific Rim University Alliance (APRU) and one of the host universities for the ANSO Scholarship and CSC Scholarship. Relying on the Overseas Science and Education Center of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, UCAS has established overseas joint science and education centers in Sri Lanka, Myanmar, and Uzbekistan, providing a platform for scientific and technological innovation cooperation and cultivating high-level talents with countries along the "One Belt And One Road" routes.

  1. Q: How many international students are there at UCAS? What countries are they from?

A: At present, there are nearly 2,000 international students from more than 100 countries around Asia, Europe, Africa, America, and Oceania. The number of foreign doctoral students is 1153 in 2020, ranking No.1 in Chinese universities.

  1. Q: How many international students apply for admission to UCAS each year, and how many of them are admitted?

A: Each year, thousands of students from dozens of countries contact our graduate supervisors and apply online to the institutes/colleges. Due to practical conditions, UCAS will select the best candidates for admission. In recent years, the number of applicants has increased and now exceeds 500 each year.

  1. Q: How many international students graduate in 2020? How about their job hunting?

A: About 250 doctoral students and 150 master students graduate in this year, 80% of which returned to their home countries to work in higher education and research institutions. Some of them got postdoctoral positions at CAS institutes and Chinese universities.

 Eligibility for Admission

  1. Q: I am a citizen of China with permanent residence in a foreign country. Am I eligible?

A: No. International students here refer to students who are non-Chinese and must hold a valid foreign passport to apply for admission.

  1. Q: I am a Hong Kong/Macao/Taiwan resident. Am I eligible to be a graduate student of UCAS?

A: Yes. Please refer to call for application for Hong Kong/Macao/Taiwan studentshttps://admission.ucas.ac.cn/.

  1. Q: I used to be a Chinese citizen and later became a foreign national. Can I apply for graduate school?

A: Yes. In addition to providing a foreign passport, proof of non-Chinese household registration is required.

  1. Q: I am a foreigner, working in China now. Can I apply for UCAS part-time program?

A: No. UCAS only accepts full-time international graduate students, not part-time graduate students. International students must hold a study visa while studying in China. Therefore, if you apply, you need to resign from your current job and change your work visa to a study visa before your registration.

  1. Q: I have reached the age of 35. Can I apply for a master program?

A: Yes. However, there are age limits for ANSO and UCAS Scholarships for no more than 30 years old and 35 years old for CSC scholarship applicants. Thus, you are not qualified to apply for these scholarship programs and will need to solve your expenses related to study and living in China.

  1. Q: My friend has reached 40 years old. Can he/she apply for a doctoral program?

A: Yes. However, for ANSO Scholarship and UCAS Scholarship doctoral program, applicants should be no more than 35 years old and for Chinese Government Scholarship doctoral program, applicants should be no more 40 years old, thus, they cannot apply for these scholarship programs and have to solve their expenses related to study and living in China.

  1. Q: I am now studying at a Chinese university and will graduate in July 2021. Can I apply to study at UCAS?

A: Yes, you can apply. You need to provide a pre-graduation certificate and ensure that you can graduate on time. If you are admitted, you must provide your graduation certificate and degree certificate and pass the admission qualification review.

  1. Q: I am not studying in China. I will graduate next year. Can I apply to study at UCAS?

A: Yes, you can. You need to provide a pre-graduation certificate to ensure that you can graduate on time. If admitted, you will need to provide your degree certificate and pass the review of admission qualification.

  1. Q: I am not studying in China. I just graduated recently, and I am waiting for the formal degree certificate. Can I apply to study at UCAS?

A: You can apply. If admitted, you should ensure that you can provide your degree certificate and pass the admission qualification review upon registration.

  1. Q: I will graduate this year. If I apply for a master program, will there be any chance for me to apply for a PhD transfer?

A: Yes, there is. Students who pass the assessment and are excellent can apply for a transfer from a master program to a doctoral program, the application of which should be submitted to the training unit in the third semester. The school will generally examine and approve it in June of the fourth semester. Applicants are required to obtain financial security to study and live in China for their PhD program. If approved by the university, the student will officially transfer to the doctoral study in the fifth semester.

  1. Q: I am currently a registered master's student at another Chinese university. Can I apply for a master's program? My friend is currently a registered doctoral student at another Chinese university. Can he/she apply for a doctoral program?

A: Non- graduating students are not allowed to apply. Senior students are not allowed to apply unless they provide a pre-graduation certificate, guaranteeing that they will graduate by July 2021.

  1. Q: What degree do I need to obtain if I want to apply for a master/doctoral program?

A: Applicants for a master program must have a degree or diploma equivalent to a Chinese bachelor's degree and a professional background related to the program. Applicants for a doctoral program should have a degree or academic qualification equivalent to a Chinese master's degree and a professional background related to the program.

  1. Q: I graduated from a French university with a Maitrise diploma. Can I apply for a master's/doctoral program?

A: You can apply for a master program but not for a doctoral program.

  1. Q: I graduated from an Indonesian/Malaysian university with a Sarjana degree. Can I apply for a Ph.D. or master program?

A: You can apply for a master program but not for a doctoral program.

  1. Q: I graduated from a Pakistani university and completed 16 years of education with a bachelor's degree certificate (2 years) and a master's degree certificate (2 years). Can I apply for a master program/doctoral program?

A: You can apply for a master program but not a Ph.D. To apply for a Ph.D., you must have completed 18 years of education and acquired a bachelor's degree certificate (4 years) plus master of science/master of philosophy, or bachelor's degree certificate (2 years) plus master degree certificate (2 years) plus master of science/master of philosophy.

 Major and Language Requirements

  1. Q: I don’t know which colleges or institutes offer the major I want to study. How can I know that?

A: Visit https://english.ucas.ac.cn/index.php/admission/international-students, search the major or discipline in which you have interest at first, then you can find the list of UCAS colleges and CAS institutes you want.

  1. Q: What should I do if I cannot find the major I want to apply for?

A: Visit https://english.ucas.ac.cn/index.php/admission/international-students and search the enrollment program directory. If you cannot find your major, choose the most relevant one.

  1. Q: Is it possible for me to change my major to something different from my bachelor's/master's?

A: Yes. UCAS encourages interdisciplinary study. It is recommended to apply for majors that are related to previous majors.

  1. Q: Can I apply to change my major or supervisor after enrollment?

A: Please carefully choose your major, supervisor, and research topic. You should communicate with your supervisor and fully understand your application before submitting it. UCAS seldom accepts and approves such applications after admission.

  1. Q: Can I apply for a colleges/institutes transfer after enrollment?

A: Please carefully choose your host colleges/institutes. You should acquire full knowledge of your supervisor and host colleges/institutes before submitting your application. UCAS seldom accepts and approves such applications after admission.

  1. Q: Are there any requirements for the applicant's academic GPA?

A: Applicants need to have good academic performance and solid professional basics since there are many applicants in our school. The selective admission will be based on the applicants' past academic performance.

  1. Q: Are there any requirements for referees?

A: The referees could be university faculty, professors, associate professors, and senior researchers who are familiar with the applicant and should not be the supervisor that the applicant is applying for.

  1. Q: Are there any format requirements for the letter of recommendation?

A: The letter of recommendation should be written on papers with formal letterhead, and the referrer's signature, date, contact number, and email address should also be included on it.

  1. Q: How to upload a recommendation letter to the online system?

A: The online application system will ask you to add the referee's email address, and the system will automatically send an email to the referrer once you have successfully added it. The referee could upload the recommendation letter according to the email instructions.

  1. Q: What if my referee does not receive an email about uploading a recommendation letter or cannot upload it?

A: Contact the program coordinator of the colleges/institutes you plan to register for and ask him/her to upload it from the back end of the system.

  1. Q: Does my referee need to send the original letter of recommendation to UCAS?

A: It is not necessary to send it to UCAS.

  1. Q: Are there any requirements for the applicant's Chinese proficiency?

A: All doctoral programs can be given in English. Over 40 master programs can be given in English. For students who apply for English programs, they must take courses in Basic Chinese and General Introduction to China after enrollment. Students who apply for programs taught in Mandarin must hold HSK Level 5 or above.

  1. Q: What is HSK?

A: HSK is a short name for Chinese Proficiency Test. It is an international standardized test of Chinese language proficiency for non-native speakers, valid for 2 years. For more details, please visit


  1. Q: My Chinese is excellent and I want to apply for a program taught in Mandarin, but I do not have an HSK certificate. What should I do?

A: Applicants who are native Chinese speakers are not required for the certificate. Applicants taught by Chinese in junior or high school or the undergraduate or graduate period are not required to provide the certificate. However, the person should be able to take Chinese courses together with Chinese students. Other students shall, in principle, be required to prove that their Chinese level has reached HSK Level 5.

  1. Q: Where can I find the HSK test center?

A: The HSK test is organized by the Chinese and Foreign Language Exchange and Cooperation Center (CLEC), and the test centers are located all over the world. The test site is available for inquiry


  1. Q: Are there any requirements for the English proficiency of the applicant?

A: Yes. Applicants should have good English listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills for programs taught no matter in English or Chinese. IELTS 6.5 or equivalent is required.

  1. Q: I am good at English and would like to apply for an English program, but I do not have a TOEFL or IELTS score. What should I do?

A: Applicants who are native English speakers are not required to provide proof of their English proficiency. Applicants taught in English at the university or master's level should provide supporting documents related to the teaching in English. Other students should, in principle, provide evidence of English proficiency to ensure that they can take courses taught in English and write papers for international journals in English.

 Application Process and Required Documents

  1. Q: Is it necessary to contact a supervisor before online application to UCAS? Why?

A: Yes, you should contact your supervisor before.

  1. Q: Where can I find supervisors’ list and their contact information?

A: If you have known the professor’s name, you may search his or her name herehttps://english.ucas.ac.cn/index.php/admission/international-students/supervisors. You may also find professors’ information from the official websites of UCAS colleges and CAS institutes which is available from https://english.ucas.ac.cn/index.php/ admission/international-students/schools-colleges.

  1. Q: I send emails to many professors, but get few replies. What should I do? How can I successfully get professor’s acceptance?

A: All professors want to recruit excellent students for scientific research co-working. They check emails almost every day. Your emails to them are usually read. But because they are often very busy for their jobs, and so many applicants may contact them, eager to join in their research teams, they may not have much time to respond to your emails one by one. This reminds the applicant to put more effort and make your emails much more attractive and competitive. Here are some suggestions for you:

  1. DO NOTsend group emails. A group sending email does not convey to a professor that you have a strong desire to be a student of his or her.
  2. DO NOTsend emails in an informal format. It is hard to let the recipient feel that you are serious.
  3. DO NOTsend emails to the professor who has no common research interest with you. Before you send emails, make sure you have a detailed understanding of the professor's academic background, research interests and recent topics. It is better to carefully read his or her academic papers published in recent years.
  4. DO NOTask the professor to give you an acceptance letter just by writing two sentences without any attractive information. Of course, it should not be too long. The contents of the email shall include but not limited to self-introduction, your own research interest, statement of academic pursuit and purpose of study in China.
  5. DO NOTforget to attach your resume, certificates of academic qualifications and degrees, report cards, published journal papers, research proposal, honorary certificates, and other materials with the email. These are essential references for professors to know about your education and academic background.
  1. Q: How will the university help us contact supervisors?

A: Students should contact supervisors in relevant disciplines and fields of study based on their research interests. If you need help in finding a supervisor, you can send emails and materials such as personal resume, certificates of academic qualifications and degrees, transcripts, published journal papers, honorary certificates, etc., to the program coordinator of the college/institute through the online application system (https://adis.ucas.ac.cn/) consultation module (For more information).

  1. Q: If I do not receive any offer from any of the supervisors, what are my final acceptance chances?

A: No chance. The supervisor’s consent is a prerequisite for admission

  1. Q: Can I contact two colleges/institutes and two supervisors at the same time?

A: A student can only be enrolled by one supervisor and one college/institute. If enrolled by two supervisors or two colleges/institutes simultaneously, the applicant will be disqualified.

  1. Q: Which programs are taught in English?

A: All doctoral programs can be instructed in both Chinese and English. For master's programs taught in English, please refer to the call for application.


  1. Q:Are there any spring enrollment for master's students? When is the opening and closing time for admission?

A: No, there is only an autumn admission batch for master's students. The application period for admission is from December 1, 2020, to May 31, 2021. Those who apply for scholarships from UCAS should complete the application procedures before the deadline for each scholarship.

  1. Q:When is the opening and closing time of applications for PhD students?

A: Two batches of doctoral students are admitted one year. Applicants who apply for admission in the fall of 2021 should complete the online application process by December 1, 2020, and May 31, 2021. For those who apply for UCAS scholarships, please complete the application procedures before the scholarship application deadline, which is March 31, 2021. Applicants for spring 2022 should complete the online application from June 1, 2021, to November 30, 2021.

  1. Q: Technical problems occurred in filling in the application system, and I could not fill in and apply smoothly. What should I do?

A: If multiple attempts fail, get a newer or older version of Internet Explorer or another browser. If you do not receive the verification code at the time of registration, you can change your email address or look for the activation email in the spam. If you still cannot fix the problem, try switching a laptop or desktop. If the problem still cannot be solved, please take the screenshot of the system prompt and send an email to service@ucas.ac.cn (for non-technical problems, please do not send it to this email address).

  1. Q: What should I do if I submit the application but find something wrong with the information I have filled and want to withdraw and correct it?

A: Please read the Enrollment Guide carefully, prepare documents as required, and double check before submitting to make sure your information is accurate. After submitting the application, it is generally not allowed to be returned for correction. If needed, the applicant can contact the college/institute's program coordinator for a return and then revise it. However, the college/institute may reject those who do not prepare seriously, do not fill in the application according to the requirements, or the application materials are incomplete or do not meet the requirements, or the information filled in is wrong.

  1. Q: Do I still need to mail the hard copies of application materials to the university after submitting the online application?

A: No. Please do not send hard copies of application materials directly to the International Student Office of UCAS. Any application materials will not be returned

  1. Q: Are there any exams or interviews after submitting the application?

A: Usually, there is. Entrance examination/assessment is an important part of enrollment and one of the key parts to ensure students' quality. The colleges/institutes will select a certain number of excellent applicants for examination or assessment according to the results of the application materials examination.

  1. Q: When will the entrance test/examination be held? Is it online or offline? Is there a written test?

A: It is usually held in April or May. The entrance test /examination can be conducted in the following ways: (1) interview, (2) interview plus written examination, (3) exemption. The specific time, place, and way shall be determined by the training unit and notified to the applicant according to the actual situation. For a small number of excellent applicants, the test can be exempted.

  1. Q: Are there any preparatory courses for admission to the university?

A: No. UCAS does not offer any forms of admission preparatory programs, nor does it cooperate with any individual, company, or institution to conduct any form of profit-making training related to the application.

  1. Q: Some institutions or individuals say they work with UCAS to recruit international students. Should I trust them?

A: Do not believe it. The university does not authorize any institutions or individuals to participate in international students recruitment.

  1. Q: In applying, who should the applicant consult if there is a problem, and how to get the contact?

A: There are two ways: one is through the consultation module of the online application system(For more information)to consult the corresponding college/institute’s program coordinator online. The other is to call or email the International Student Office of UCAS. The contact information of the recruitment director for doctoral, master, and visiting scholars can be found in the corresponding Recruitment Brochure.

  1. Q: I sent an email to iso@ucas.ac.cn to ask about the enrollment. Why didn't anyone reply to me?

A: The email address iso@ucas.ac.cn is used for students at school only, not for enrollment. If you have any questions about Ph.D. enrollment, please send an email to phd@ucas.ac.cn. For graduate enrollment, please email master@ucas.ac.cn. For visiting scholar, please send an email tovisiting@ucas.ac.cn. For more information, you can also send emails to the program coordinator of each college/institute.

  1. Q: I do not have a passport yet. Do I have to own one when I apply?

A: Yes, but you should get a new passport as soon as possible. Fill in "000000" at the passport number blank on the application system for temporary substitution. If you are accepted, you should obtain your passport and inform us by June 2021 at the latest.

  1. Q: My passport is about to expire and has less than one year remaining. Can I use it to apply for admission?

A: The remaining validity period of the passport used in the application should generally be more than 2 years. If the remaining validity period is less than one year, it can be used to apply temporarily, but a new passport should be applied as soon as possible. Applicants should get a new passport and inform us by June 2021 at the latest.

  1. Q: Can I use another passport than the ordinary passport to apply for admission?

A: No. Please use the ordinary passport to apply for admission.

  1. Q: I do not have a passport. Can I apply with a profile such as an international travel document other than my passport?

A: No. Please use a valid ordinary passport issued by your government.

  1. Q: I have dual nationality. Can I apply for admission with passport A and apply for a visa and enrollment with passport B?

A: No. From the time you submit your application to the time you register and study in China, you must always use a passport issued by the same country, consistent with the nationality information provided in the application system.

  1. Q: My degree certificate and transcript are not written in Chinese or English. Can I apply for UCAS?

A: Yes, but you need to provide a Chinese or English translation. All materials for the application must be written in either Chinese or English, or, if written in any other language, a Chinese or English translation must be provided.

  1. Q: Does the applicant need to provide original documents? When will the original be provided?

A: Yes, you are required to submit the original documents used in the application for admission, such as diplomas and degree certificates. The university will check the authenticity of the materials and reserves the right to review them at any time. If the materials are found to be false or forged, admission or student status will be canceled. The students are responsible for all the consequences caused thereby.

  1. Q: Can the uploading materials be photocopies? Can they be taken with mobile phones or cameras?

A: No. Please chromoscan the original copies of relevant certificates and then upload them. Documents taken by mobile phones or cameras are not acceptable. Copies are not acceptable.

  1. Q: I have several academic papers, but they have not been officially published. Can I submit them?

A: No. Considering reasons such as confidentiality, please do not submit it before it is officially published.

  1. Q: I attended several academic conferences where I presented several academic issues. Can I submit them?

A: No, unless the proceedings of the conference are officially published.

  1. Q: What's the use of the research proposal? How to prepare it? Is there a template?

A: No template. Research proposal is an important reference material for professors to know applicants' research interest and innovative thinking ability. Applicants should carefully prepare the research proposal in which you address the purpose and significance of the research topics of your own interest, and put forward its research method, instrument and equipment, and technology roadmap. It could be better to put forward our own research ideas in combination with professor’s research topics.

  1. Q: In addition to the application materials required by the Recruitment Brochure, are there any other materials required?

A: There could be. During the reviewing of the application materials, some applicants may be required to provide original written copies/notarized copies of the application materials or certificates issued by designated certification institutions for further inspection. Applicants should ensure that the information and application materials provided are true and accurate. Otherwise, they will be disqualified from admission.

 Fees and Scholarships

  1. Q: Is there any application fee?

A: The application fee for master's and doctoral students is 600 RMB; the application fee for visiting scholars is 450 RMB. The application fee is exempted for students with ANSO Scholarship, Chinese Government Scholarship, UCAS Scholarship (including partial scholarship).

  1. Q: I submitted the scholarship application and paid the application fee by mistake. Can I refund it?

A: No. The registration fee is non-refundable under any circumstances.

  1. Q: Are there any graduate scholarships available, and how to apply?

A: Yes, for details please visit


Besides, some institutions and supervisors offer "three helps" scholarships. For specific funding criteria and time limits, please consult the supervisor and college/institute you are interested in.

  1. Q: Can I apply to UCAS for ANSO, CSC and UCAS scholarships at the same time?

Will the applicant win two scholarships at once?

A: You can apply for more than one scholarship at the same time. Check the scholarship category you wish to apply for in the online application system (multiple options are available) and follow the instructions to complete the scholarship application. Make sure you meet the eligibility criteria for the scholarship you want to apply(https://english.ucas.ac.cn/index.php/admission/international-students). You cannot hold two scholarships simultaneously in the end, only with one of them at most.

  1. Q: Do I need to apply for a scholarship when I apply for transfer from the master program to doctoral program?

A: Yes, this is because students who apply for a transfer from master program to doctoral program should have the financial guarantee for their doctoral study in China. If you have already obtained sufficient financial support for your doctoral study, you do not need to apply for any scholarship.

  1. Q: Now, I would like to withdraw the application and add the scholarship categories, and apply for three scholarships at the same time. What should I do?

A: The scholarship application should be agreed upon by the applicant, the supervisor, and the college/institute. If the application needs to be modified (for example, to add application category), the college/institute should return it to the student for correction before they submit it to UCAS.

  1. Q: I have been awarded a scholarship from an organization. Can I apply for another scholarship from UCAS to assist me in completing my degree study at the same time?

A: No, please share the opportunity with other students. If you have received funding from other sources, you should fill in the information in the application system accordingly. If you conceal the actual situation, you will be disqualified from the application.

  1. Q: I have already applied for a scholarship from another institution. Can I apply for a scholarship from UCAS?

A: You may apply to more than one institution simultaneously, but you can only accept funding from one of them. If you have accepted other scholarships, please let us know. If you have already accepted a scholarship offered by UCAS, please do not accept another scholarship. Leave the opportunity to others.

  1. Q: When will the scholarship evaluation take place?

A: Normally in April or May.

  1. Q: How does the scholarship assessment work?

A: After the interview, the college/institute will submit the online application materials to UCAS. UCAS then organizes experts to conduct a review and select the best candidates for admission.

  1. Q: When and where can I see the results of the scholarship evaluation?

A: The scholarship evaluation results will be published on the UCAS website in both Chinese and English in June and July. The application status can be seen in the admissions system.

  1. Q: Will the final results be notified to applicants?

A: Yes. After the scholarship evaluation results are announced, UCAS will send the scholarship acceptance form through the college/institute to the students who are to be sponsored. Applicants must fill in the form within a limited time, sign it, and send it to the college/institute to report the relevant situation to the university.

  1. Q: What are the chances that candidates on the waiting list will get scholarship?

A: If someone withholds a scholarship, candidates on the waiting list are offered a chance to replace that person. We are not sure how many opportunities there are. All the applicants have a strong willingness to study in the university, and the scholarship and living expenses provided by UCAS can guarantee their study and life in China well, seldom will they give up the opportunity.

  1. Q: Will the scholarship waiting list be announced?

A: No. The school will choose the candidate by the regulations and order.

  1. Q: If I am not accepted into a scholarship program, can I apply for a self-funded graduate program?

A: Yes. UCAS enjoys a large number of excellent applicants. However, due to the limited number of scholarships, it is difficult to guarantee that all outstanding applicants will receive the scholarships. To this end, the school provides opportunities to recruit a certain number of self-funded master's and doctoral students each year.

  1. Q: How much is the tuition fee of a self-funded graduate student as well as the accommodation fee, and how to pay tuition, accommodation fee?

A: Tuition standard for doctoral students: RMB 40,000/person/academic year for science and engineering majors; RMB 34,000/person/academic year for liberal arts majors. Tuition standard for master students: RMB 30,000 Yuan. Tuition is paid by the academic year.

The student apartment at Yanqi Lake/Zhongguancun/Yuquan Road Campus charges RMB 900 per person/month for a double room. The accommodation fee is paid by semester. For accommodation fee paying to institutes, please contact with related institutes.

Tuition fees and accommodation fees can be remitted to the following UCAS bank account (RMB, USD, or Euro only). Please specify the purpose of the remittance and the student's name, nationality, and passport number:

Account name: University of Chinese Academy of Sciences

Bank name: China Construction Bank, Beijing Dong Fang Guang Chang Sub-branch

Account number: 11001059200053002790

Bank International Code: PCBCCNBJBJX

 Admission and Registration

  1. Q: If I am accepted, when can I receive the admission documents?

A: Admission documents are usually issued in July till August. Before sending it, the applicants’ address will be confirmed through email, and applicants will be noticed how to track the mail.

  1. Q: What materials are included in the admission document?

A: Generally, it includes the Admission Notice of University of Chinese Academy of Sciences,Application Form for Foreign Study Visa in China (JW202/201 Form), Physical Examination Record for Foreigners, Admission Guide for International Postgraduate Freshmen of University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, university’s introduction, reporting guide etc. The original copy of the admission document must be kept well for registration and residence permit application.

  1. Q: I have known to be admitted but did not receive any admission document. What should I do?

A: The admission document is usually mailed to the applicant by the colleges/institutes or the supervisor. Once an abnormality is detected, the applicant should contact the training unit as soon as possible to grasp the mailing situation. Applicants for bilateral programs of Chinese Government Scholarship are generally subject to the principle of "The institution which issues the scholarship will send the admission document."

  1. Q: Will I be notified if I am not accepted?

A: Due to the large number of applicants, it is difficult for us to inform each applicant individually. Please check the admission system where application results will be displayed in time. Applicants can also consult the colleges/institutes to learn the progress.

  1. Q: What should I do after receiving the admission documents?

A: After receiving the admission documents, students should apply for a student visa at the Chinese Embassy or Consulate as soon as possible, undergo a medical examination as required by the Embassy, and prepare for study in China.

  1. Q: If I am accepted, when will the semester begin?

A: Master students will be recruited once every year, the admission of which generally takes place at the end of August or early September. Doctoral students are recruited twice every year. Those who submit their applications between December and May are usually admitted in late August or early September. Those who submit applications between June and November are generally admitted in late February or early March.

  1. Q: What is the usual registration time?

A: The registration period for new students is usually from late August to early September. The details are subject to the instructions on the admission letter.

  1. Q: Can I register a few days in advance?

A: Students are not allowed to register in advance generally. If you need to apply for registration in advance for some reason, you should submit an application to the university through the colleges/institutes.

  1. Q: I have something to deal with. Can I register a few days later?

A: Students are not allowed to postpone their registration generally. If you need to apply for postponing the registration, you should submit the "leave form" to the university.

  1. Q: Where do I register?

A: Please refer to the Admission Notice of the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences and theAdmission Guide for International Postgraduate Freshmen of the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences for the registration location.

  1. Q: What should I do to prepare for the registration?

A: The student needs to apply for a study visa, and for other matters, please refer to the Admission Guide for International Graduate Students of the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences


 Visa and Residence Permit

  1. Q: I have never been to China. What visa do I need to apply for? How to do it?

A: Student visa. Students should take your valid ordinary passport, carrying the university admission notice of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (original and photocopy), the visa application form for study in China (JW201/202) (original and photocopy), the foreigner's physical check form and other documents required by the Chinese embassies and consulates, to the Chinese embassy or consulate outside agencies. Please remember to ask for the original Admission Letter from the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences and the original form JW201/202 from the Chinese Embassy or Consulate back. Once in China, these materials will be used to apply for a residence permit from China's exit and entry authorities.

  1. Q: Now, I have non-study visas such as L/F/S visa. Can I enter China and register with this visa?

A: No. According to Chinese laws and regulations, international students should only hold a study visa (X visa) or study residence permit for registration. Other types of visas/residence permits are not allowed to register.

  1. Q: My home country/country of residence signed a mutual visa exemption agreement with China. Can I register on a visa-free visa?

A: No. According to Chinese laws, international students should hold a study visa or a residence permit to study and live in China. People who enter China on a visa-free visa cannot apply for a residence permit.

  1. Q: How can I apply for a visa extension after registration with a X visa?

A: Students with a study visa must apply for a residence permit within 30 days of entering China. The specific process is that the new students submit the Application Form for Residence Permit for International Students of the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences and other relevant materials to their college/institute. The college/institute shall submit the application form to the International Student Office for approval and issue the Application Form for Foreigner's Visa Card; The new student should apply for a residence permit with this form and related materials to the local Exit and Entry Administration department.

  1. Q: Now I have a study visa/residence permit, can I register directly at the university?

A: Yes, but there are conditions. First, your current study visa/residence permit should be valid until 15 days after the registration date specified in your offer letter. Second, you should register at the university within ten days of the date specified in the admission letter and go through the residence permit change in time.

  1. Q: I now hold the study type residence permit, which enjoys more than half a year of validity. Can I temporarily not go through the change procedures?

A: No. You must apply for the change of residence permit within ten days after you register.

  1. Q: I am now in China. Can I register directly with L/F/S/T/W and other non-study visa/residence permit?

A: No. You must hold a study visa/residence permit to register. As far as we know, you should leave China as soon as possible and apply for visa X to Chinese embassies and consulates abroad.

  1. Q: Does application visa need physical examination, what item does the physical examination involve?

A: Yes, the physical examination report is a necessary material for applying for the visa and residence permit in China. For the items of physical examination, please refer to the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. New students should have a physical examination before entering China. After entering China, they should take the original physical examination report to the International Travel Health Care Center in Beijing or where the colleges/institutes is located to check its validity. Those who pass the verification may obtain the Verification Certificate of Physical Examination Records for Overseas Personnel and apply for a residence permit. With the approval of the Chinese embassies and consulates abroad, they can complete the physical examination at the International Travel Health Care Center in Beijing or the place where the college/institute is located after entry. Those who pass the physical examination can obtain the Verification Certificate of Physical Examination Records for Overseas Personnel and apply for a residence permit.

  1. Q: Which hospitals could provide the physical examination?

A: The hospital should be accredited by Chinese embassies and consulates abroad. For details, please consult the Chinese embassies and consulates near your location.

 Accommodation and Campus Life

  1. Q: What are the accommodation conditions in UCAS?

A: UCAS Zhongguancun Campus, Yuquanlu Campus, and Yanqihu Campus provide some accommodation for international students. Accommodation conditions vary somewhat on each campus, but the following basic accommodation facilities are provided, including air conditioning, bed, wardrobe, desk, stool, heating, bath, and toilet, etc., usually in double rooms.

  1. Q: Does UCAS provide on-campus accommodation for accompanying family members?

A: Not available. Students are requested to provide off-campus accommodation for their family members.

  1. Q: What is the accommodation fee on campus?

A: UCAS charges 900 RMB per person per month for a double room. According to relevant regulations, CSC Scholarship and UCAS Scholarship students are exempt from the accommodation fee.

  1. Q: Does the institute I intend to enroll in providing us with accommodation inside the institute? How much does it charge?

A: CAS has more than 100 research institutes located in more than 20 provinces and cities in China. The actual situation varies from institute to institute, and the situation changes from year to year, and the fees are more or less different. Please consult the institute that you plan to enter yourself to provide you with accommodation and the charge.

  1. Q: Is there anything I should pay special attention to if I live off campus?

A: According to Chinese law, foreigners must register with the local police station for temporary accommodation within 24 hours after landing. If there is any change of passport, visa, or accommodation address, they are required to re-register with the local police station within the prescribed time, or they will face legal punishment.

  1. Q: I am a Muslim, and does the UCAS campus canteen provide halal food? Is it also available in the institute canteen?

A: Yanqi Lake Campus and Zhongguancun Campus are equipped with Halal Canning Hall to provide Halal food. The campus supermarket also offers some halal food. Many institute campuses have canteens. Please consult the institute you intend to enroll in whether they provide halal food.

  1. Q:Can I cook my food in the UCAS Student Apartments?

A: No. Students are not allowed to cook in the campus apartments, according to the university's student apartment management rules. The campus canteen provides a variety of food and beverage services to meet students' basic dietary needs.

  1. Q: Is it convenient for international students to seek medical treatment? My Chinese is not good, will I have communication problems?

A: It is convenient. International students of our university can obtain medical treatment through the "comprehensive insurance for international students" provided by Ping An Insurance Company of China. The insurance covers the Chinese mainland's whole territory, no matter in Beijing or other parts of the Chinese mainland, the local public medical treatment is available. The insurance company provides 24 hours of English and Chinese telephone consultation and medical guidance services.

  1. Q: Does the school provide psychological counseling services? How to make an appointment?

A: The school provides psychological counseling services for all students to answer their general psychological problems and psychological troubles. International students can make WeChat online appointments through WeChat and add WeChat ID: ucasmentalHealth.

  1. Q: What campus activities does UCAS offer?

A: The university organizes a variety of cultural and academic activities throughout the year. International students can interact and learn about each other's culture with Chinese students and students from other countries. Activities include the Chinese and foreign cultural exchange activities, such as international culture festivals, Chinese traditional culture-related activities (such as world-class intangible cultural heritage lectures, Chinese paper cutting, Chinese cuisine experience, Tai Chi learning, Beijing Opera, etc.), in addition to all kinds of contests, sports, photography contest, the visiting to Chinese historical attractions. International students also can participate in international academic conferences held on the campus of UCAS and visit and practice at CAS institutes in various parts of China.


  1. Q: Does UCAS provide sports facilities such as football fields, basketball courts, swimming pools, or gymnasiums?

A: Yanqi Campus has a tracking ground, a football field, a basketball court, a swimming pool, and a gymnasium; Yuquan Campus has a football field, a basketball court, a volleyball court, a badminton court; Zhongguancun Campus has a basketball court, a swimming pool, and a gymnasium. All of the stadiums and facilities are open to students.


  1. Q: It is said that Chinese universities require international students to learn Chinese. Why? What level should they reach?

A: Many international students have no basic knowledge of Chinese before coming to China. Learning a little Chinese will make it easier for you to study and live in China and better integrate into the campus and Chinese society. International students should reach HSK Level 3 and have basic listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills before graduation

  1. Q: Is it possible to leave China while studying in China?

A: Yes, the "leave form" should be filled in advance and sent with relevant materials to the training unit, and it will take effect after being approved.

  1. Q: It is said that the requirements are relatively high, not easy for students to graduate, is it true?

A: The graduation requirements and degree awarding conditions for international students are the same as those for Chinese students in the same category. The university requires all graduate students to study hard, devote themselves to learning, complete the required course credits and compulsory course credits, complete the graduation/dissertation and pass the thesis defense, to acquire certain professional knowledge and scientific research innovation ability upon graduation.

  1. Q: Can outstanding students apply for early graduation?

A: Outstanding students who meet the graduation requirements in advance within the basic schooling system can graduate one year at most in advance after being agreed by their supervisor, assessed by the college/institute, and approved by UCAS.

  1. Q: What if I can't complete my studies within the basic academic years?

A: UCAS adopts a flexible length of schooling system. Those who fail to complete their studies within the basic schooling period may apply for an extension of the schooling period. The basic length of study for master students is generally 3 years, and the longest length of study (including suspension) shall not exceed 4 years. The basic length of study for doctoral students is generally 3 years, and the longest length of study (including suspension) shall not exceed 6 years. The length of study (including suspension) for students who are approved to transfer from a master program to a doctoral program is generally 5 years. The maximum length of study (including suspension) should not exceed not more than 8 years.


Address:Xiao HongShan WuHan HuBei China(430071)